No doubt that a healthy lifestyle is still a huge trend in 2022. Peoples’ motivation to be fit and healthy is growing strong. And if you’ve been thinking about health and fitness app development, now is a perfect time to find a unique niche and make your product go viral! Today, the number of people who tend to use health and fitness apps as a great alternative to costly personal trainers has skyrocketed. So, the demand for such apps keeps going up despite the competition on the market. Read this blog post, if you’re looking for actionable tips and design ideas for your future fitness software app. We’re going to talk about how to create a competitive and profitable fitness app that would be able to engage people and build a loyal fanbase easily.
A promising marketThe most recent report from Statista shows an increasing market demand in digital fitness & well-being apps. The total revenue in this particular segment already reached almost $25.38bn in 2022, which is almost doubled since 2019. And it is expected to grow even further at an annual growth rate of 14.72% while reaching a projected market volume of $43.96bn by 2026. More info from Statista in regards to these market: • User penetration will be increased by 12.52% in 2022; • User penetration is expected to hit 15.92% by 2026; • The average revenue per user is expected to amount to $26.64; • Most revenue is expected to be generated in China ($6,054.00m in 2022). Impressive, huh? 😏
The trends related to health and fitness digital solutions
- Combining online and offline. Since digital devices became an inevitable part of our lives, we interact with them on a daily basis for almost any reason from shopping to chatting with AI.
- Life with just one click. Today, we got used to doing exercises at home without costly investments or time demanding actions like driving to a gym, finding the right trainer, etc.
- Hyperpesonalization. The ability to analyze activity, nutrient intake, and more complex health parameters from wearable devices provides unprecedented opportunities for personalization and customization. This ensures you get exactly what you need just when you need it.
- Mindfulness and self care. The last decade was highlighted by an increased number of people who really got into sports, healthy eating, healthy lifestyle, etc.
Considering a booming app development industry tied to fitness and a healthy lifestyle, we’d say there are still enough great opportunities and profitable niches for promising products. So, if you've been putting off custom fitness app development, most definitely the perfect time is now!
Types of fitness mobile appsThe main purposes of all wellness apps are the same: to provide guidance, motivation, and accountability, to give people control over their health, activity, and life. However, there are 3 types of such apps that should be distinguished. Note, that this is not a strict rule - sometimes, an app includes features of different app types.
1. Online fitness and workout appsAccording to Grand View Research, this is by far the most popular health & fitness app category. Common workout app features include fitness programs, yoga & meditation practices, proper breathing techniques, and personal affirmations with (or without) an aid from a coach. These apps help to create effective workout plans, get in touch with online fitness trainers, set goals, and track progress every step of the way. The most popular apps in this particular category are Calm, Fitbit, and 7 Minute Workout.
2. Diet and nutrition appsThese apps help users take control of their eating habits and maintain a balanced nutrition intake. Features include planning meals for proper nutrition, calorie counters, and nutrition monitoring, personal meal plan preparation and suggestions, shopping lists, and working tips for weight loss (or gain). The most popular apps in this category are MyFitnessPal, Fooducate, and Carb Manager.
3. Activity tracking appsActivity tracking apps help users take control, monitor, and track their sports activities like jogging, steps per day, as well as sleep tracking, ovulation & periods tracking. However, this category also includes mobile health applications which are tied to specific health needs like heart rate or sugar levels. Often, activity tracking apps are paired with wearable devices and come as one of the features used as a tracking solution (like the one embedded in the Apple Watch). Most popular apps in this category are Strava, C25K, and HealthifyMe.
What makes a fitness app successful?Based on the SimilarWeb and Statista data of the top fitness apps within the USA, we chose 10 top health fitness apps to see what made them so successful.
So, based on this list, we identified the key success factors of these health and fitness apps:
- According to practical experience, mobile apps that offer flexible subscription options to users tend to stay afloat and make more money.
- Personalization is a really big thing today and it is the main ingredient that can make any app go viral. According to the recent research conducted by McKinsey & Co, 71% of consumers in the US currently want to receive personalized interactions.
- The quality of data and its ability to engage users boosts the value of any fitness app tremendously. Thus, it’s important to involve health & fitness experts in creating high-quality content like workout video tutorials, proper nutrition advice, hints from health professionals, etc.
- Obviously, users love to interact with cool and catchy designed apps with a smooth experience and without bugs. Check out how to build a high-performing application with our expert advice.
- Reacting fast to users’ reviews and feedback is extremely important for building a stronger bond and connection with your community. That’s how you build a perfect roadmap to deliver a product that users will be delighted to use on a daily basis.